We can all relate to different seasons in our marriages – times when everything is just how we would want it, and other times when it seems as if the world around us including situations and individuals are just ‘not helping’. A good husband should always be able to make things better, not withstanding that he may have been the source of frustration to start with! In difficult times we need to allow God’s grace to have a good work in us.
We are grateful to the Lord for twenty years of married life. Looking back over the period we have lived together we can reflect that certain attitudes and practices help to steer us from difficulty to a place of wellbeing and peace. We have put down twenty positive mindsets, tips which will help wives deal their husband in the best possible way, and handle their emotions better as they seek to make their marital home the best it can be.
1. You chose him therefore respect him not just when he has earned it. Just respect him!
2. Men are not wired like women – we see things differently therefore COMMUNICATE!
3. Sex is good! Keep this lively and passionate.
4. Affirm – something I am still learning. Learn his love language.
5. Speak softly and kindly – Gracious words are sweet to the soul (Prov. 16:24).
6. Take care of yourself – inside and outside. Be clean, modest, orderly, and dutiful – 1 Timothy 2:9. Proverbs 31:13, 15, 27, RSV.* “Be ye clean.” Isaiah 52:11. 1 Corinthians 14:40.
7. Keep your home tidy – this is very close to my heart. Cleanliness is next to Godliness.
8. Do not let the sun go down upon your wrath.
9. He comes before the children – children will leave your home. If you have not cultivated a lasting relationship with your spouse, you will have both empty nests and empty hearts.
11. The grass is not greener on the other side therefore guard your heart. Be content with the man you have chosen, with the life you both lead. It does get better if you are focussed.
12. Threatening divorce does not help.
13. Choose to love in good and bad times – Above all things. (Col. 3:14)
14. Plan Date nights
15. Always speak positively about your spouse privately and publicly.
16. No third party – keep your intimacies private!
17. Have fun together, share together and pray together – James 5:16 and 1:5. Check out Matthew 26:41
18. Be loyal to him
19. Make friends with people who’ll encourage your marriage.
20. Avoid or stay away from those who are ready to tear you apart.
Our prayer is that husbands and wives will be able to tap into the abundance of grace that God has made available for couples and see their marriages flourish.